Toprol XL, a type of medication known as a beta blocker, is used in the treatment of high blood pressure, angina pectoris (chest pain, usually caused by lack of oxygen to the heart due to clogged arteries), and heart attack. When prescribed for high blood pressure, it is effective when used alone or in combination with other high blood pressure medications. Beta blockers decrease the force and rate of heart contractions, thereby reducing the demand for oxygen and lowering blood pressure.
Take Toprol XL exactly as prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not take in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended. Follow the directions on your prescription label.
- Take Toprol XL at the same time every day.
- Toprol XL should be taken with food or just after a meal. A Toprol XL tablet can be divided in half if your doctor has told you to do so. The half tablet should be swallowed whole, without chewing or crushing. Chewing or crushing the pill could cause too much of the drug to be released at one time.
- Do not skip doses or stop taking Toprol XL without first talking to your doctor. Stopping suddenly may make your condition worse.
- Your blood pressure will need to be checked often. Visit your doctor regularly.
- If you need surgery, tell the surgeon ahead of time that you are using Toprol XL.
- Toprol XL is only part of a complete program of treatment for hypertension that may also include diet, exercise, and weight control. Follow your diet, medication, and exercise routines very closely if you are being treated for hypertension.
- If you are being treated for high blood pressure, keep using this medication even if you feel well. High blood pressure often has no symptoms. You may need to use blood pressure medication for the rest of your life.
- Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Toprol XL.
Store Toprol XL at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Toprol XL out of the reach of children and away from pets.
Active Ingredient: Metoprolol succinate.
Do NOT use Toprol XL if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Toprol XL or to another beta-blocker
- you have a very slow heart rate (eg, bradycardia), certain types of irregular heartbeat (eg, atrioventricular [AV] block, sick sinus syndrome), moderate to severe heart failure, very low systolic blood pressure (less than 100 mm Hg), or severe blood circulation problems.
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Some medical conditions may interact with Toprol XL. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have an adrenal gland tumor (pheochromocytoma), have an overactive thyroid, or are scheduled to have surgery
- if you have low blood pressure or a history of heart attack, slow or irregular heartbeat, heart failure, or other heart problems; chest pain or angina; blood circulation problems; or liver problems
- if you have diabetes mellitus, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), bronchitis, breathing problems, or a history of asthma.
Some medicines may interact with Toprol XL. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- digoxin (digitalis, Lanoxin);
- clonidine (Catapres);
- ritonavir (Norvir);
- terbinafine (Lamisil);
- a diuretic (water pill);
- cold medicines, stimulant medicines, or diet pills;
- anti-malaria medications such as chloroquine (Aralen) or hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil, Quineprox);
- medicine to treat depression or mental illness, such as bupropion (Wellbutrin, Zyban), fluoxetine (Prozac, Sarafem), paroxetine (Paxil), thioridazine (Mellaril), and others;
- an MAO inhibitor such as isocarboxazid (Marplan), tranylcypromine (Parnate), phenelzine (Nardil), or selegiline (Eldepryl, Emsam);
- a diabetes medication such as insulin, glyburide (Diabeta, Micronase, Glynase), glipizide (Glucotrol), chlorpropamide (Diabinese), or metformin (Glucophage);
- a heart medication such as nifedipine (Procardia, Adalat), quinidine (Quinaglute, Quinidex), propafenone (Rythmol), reserpine (Serpasil), verapamil (Calan, Verelan, Isoptin), diltiazem (Cartia, Cardizem); or
- medicine for asthma or other breathing disorders, such as albuterol (Ventolin, Proventil), bitolterol (Tornalate), metaproterenol (Alupent), pirbuterol (Maxair), terbutaline (Brethaire, Brethine, Bricanyl), and theophylline (Theo-Dur, Theolair).
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Toprol XL may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.